Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Sad Week

This week has been fairly difficult for me. I have gone to two funerals and two viewings.

One person who passed away was a very young (43 years old) former co-worker and friend who was always super sweet. She had breast cancer, which went into remission but then reared its ugly head again within the last year.

A friend's father also passed away. He was deaf, and the eulogy, probably the most beautiful I've ever heard, covered many aspects of his life that dealt with his not being able to hear. It was very touching. The reason he passed stemmed from some digestive issues he was having where food was sitting on his stomach and not passing through the system correctly. While he was, otherwise, in great health (he was in his early 50's by the way), he received some type of scope procedure (EGD/Upper GI/Upper endoscopy perhaps) and vomited, which aspirated into his lungs. From there, he developed pneumonia, and things went downhill.




I'm sure that this is not common for the scope procedure, but it reminded me to a whole new degree how we are taking our health into our hands whenever we get even routine procedures done. This is why it is important to do our own part to try to avoid any issues. Doing our part includes eating right, not taking NSAID's (or other off-limits medication), following doctor orders, and otherwise working with our bands. Obviously, I'm not perfect here, so I'm not preaching. But this has been another reminder of how we all should function with the band.

I hope everyone out there is having a healthy and happy weekend.

5 comments:

  1. So sorry. How sad, two young people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry that you have had such a terrible week of loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry for your loss as well, and you are so right about taking our health seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  4. {{{hugs}}} sad week for sure.

    Thanks for the reminder about health.

    ReplyDelete