Saturday, April 2, 2011

My Current Symptoms

I haven't written about the GERD or esophagitis in a bit but wanted to get some input about others' symptoms. I was wondering if anyone else has had tingling sensations or numbness of limbs associated with their GERD or esophagitis?

I noticed these symptoms about a week after my first GERD episode and was pretty scared because it seemed strange that they would be related to the GERD. I also never saw these symptoms listed in the usual line-up of GERD symptoms. I thought that the tingling and numbness HAD to be something else (a bigger problem) until I came across a discussion board online revealing many others' experiences with GERD, these symptoms, the individuals' reports of how they have ruled out everything but GERD, and their discussions of doctors' attributions of their symtpoms to the GERD. I will post a link to the discussion board below in case you ever need to review it (hopefully not).

While I did find much comfort in reading these posts from others, I have not yet seen any bandster posts discussing these symptoms (have I missed them?). Still, even if no one else in our bandster universe has experienced this, I wanted to put this information out there in case someone else has similar symptoms in the future...I hope that it will help alleviate some fears of others' at the onset (it's nerve-wracking enough to know that you have GERD/esophagitis without adding extra stress to the mix).

Also, just so you are aware (in case you experience these along with other GERD symptoms), another issue that some folks with GERD suffer is panic attacks. Fortunately, I've not had any panic attacks at this point. But my tingling and numbness along with some mild heartburn are still persisting. (Just FYI as far as a full status report on me--the tingling and numbness are the biggest issues I have right now, and I have them even when I take medication; Band Groupie had mentioned that some people have break-through medication issues, and I guess I'm one of the lucky ones (sarcasm there)...but I'm still optimistic that my issues might end soon).

Anyhow, I hope this helps someone else now or in the future. But, let me do a little disclaimer here that I had a brain MRI done recently for some migraine issues...it came back clean, so that also helped rule out neurological issues that might be related to tingling and numbness for me. I would recommend that, should you develop any of these symptoms (or any others that concern you), you still see your doctor and get tested for everything you (and your doctor, of course) might normally try...but just know all the while that there is a good little group of folks that find the tingling and numbness related to the GERD. That will, hopefully, put your mind at ease during the testing rigamarole.

If you have any experience with tingling or numbness associated with GERD/esophagitis, please let me know. Like I said, I may have missed some posts from somewhere out in Bandster Land. I'd be interested in reading any you recommend.

***The site I mentioned is http://www.steadyhealth.com/Burping__Chest_Pain__arm_numbness__and_hand_and_finger_tingl_t149797.html

3 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of the numbness and tingling. Thank goodness I haven't had anything like that. I have had a few GERD issues but normally it's when I have had too many sodas or something like that. I don't take meds for it every day just as needed. I am so sorry that you are having all of these issues. I hope they get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do take a daily ppi (protonix). After we did tests to make sure that I wasn't too tight. My Dr. just said I'm a person that gets heartburn and we just need to watch it.
    I will say that I experienced numbness in my hands a few years ago(preband). It was anxiety- I just didn't realize it at the time. I hope you start to feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry, hope you feel better soon. Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it!!! I am at the point now where I'm taking Zantac every day to control nighttime GERD. Not happy, I've never had this before. But if I have some fill removed I know I will start to see the scale move upward. Sigh. The band does have its down sides.

    ReplyDelete